Melania Trump Urges ‘Pre-emptive Intervention’ in Wake of Minneapolis School Shooting
The first lady calls for ‘behavioral threat assessments across all levels of society.’

In the wake of the Minneapolis school shooting, First Lady Melania Trump Wednesday night took to social media urging for “pre-emptive intervention in identifying potential school shooters” while expressing her condolences to families impacted by the violence just as students started returning to school across the country.
Earlier that morning, an assailant shot a spray of gunfire through the windows of Annunciation Catholic Church during a school Mass killing an 8-year-old and a 10-year-old and injuring 18 other people of which 15 were children. The attacker, a 23-year-old man whose mother reportedly once worked at the school, died of a self-inflicted gun wound, according to police.
“Early warning signs are often evident, with many individuals exhibiting concerning behaviors and making violent threats online prior to their actions. To prevent future tragedies, it is crucial we look into behavioral threat assessments across all levels of society—beginning in our homes, extending through school districts and of course, social media platforms,” the first lady wrote. “Being aware of these warning signs and acting quickly can save lives and make American communities safer.”
Mrs. Trump went on expressing that her “heart is shattered for the families and friends of the victims of today’s senseless and depraved violent act. There is nothing that anyone can say to make your grief go away, but please know that you are not alone. My thoughts, love, and deepest sympathy are with you during this dreadful time.”

Minnesota is one of 21 states that has a “red flag” law otherwise known as an Extreme Risk Protection Order law that has been in effect since last year. It gives judges the ability to remove a person’s weapons following a petition from select people like parents or police, who can prove they are a risk to others or themselves. There was not an ERPO in place for this attacker, according to local authorities who also noted that the public may not be fully aware of the new law.
In 2024, fed up with the seemingly paralysis around effective gun control in the United States, former First Lady Dr. Jill Biden hosted school principals at the White House unveiling new federal guidance promoting firearm safety designed to protect children.
“Enough is enough,” Biden said at the time. “Enough pain, enough death. No more funerals.”
Firearm injuries became the leading cause of death in children and teens in 2020 and 2021, recent research by the CDC shows.
The inaugural Office of Gun Violence Prevention and the U.S. Department of Education (DOE) joined the White House town hall, discussing the nation’s gun violence epidemic with school leaders and their latest plan to address it. Now, that office ceases to exist.
At the time, the Office of Gun Violence Prevention announced a new federal initiative to emphasize safe firearm storage—part of the Biden Administration’s overarching effort to reduce gun violence nationwide. The effort included a new firearm storage safety guide from the Department of Justice that is “the most comprehensive guide on safe storage ever released by the federal government.” It included expertise of different types of storage devices and best practices.
Will a $10K Prize Advance AI in the US? Melania Trump Thinks So.
For the second time since the start of President Donald Trump’s second term, First Lady Melania Trump has taken steps to help shape the future of technology in the United States.
On Tuesday, the first lady announced the Presidential Artificial Intelligence (AI) Challenge, inviting K-12 students and educators across America to participate.
“The Presidential AI Challenge will be the first step in preparing our next generation with a base understanding of this important new technology,” said Mrs.Trump in a statement. The story was first reported in the New York Post, where she said she wanted to carve out a new role for herself as the “First Lady of Technology.”
In a recent video on AI.gov, she reflected on her own experience with AI while creating the audiobook version of her memoir Melania, emphasizing the transformative potential and inherent risks of this technology.
“In just a few short years, artificial intelligence will be the engine driving every business sector across our economy. It is important America leads the rest of the world,” she said in the video.
The Presidential AI Challenge, according to its website, seeks to inspire young people and educators to create AI-based innovative solutions to community challenges. Students and educators of all backgrounds and expertise are encouraged to participate in an effort to help foster interest and competency in AI technology in America's youth.
“Early training in the responsible use of AI tools will demystify this technology and prepare America’s students to be confident participants in the AI-assisted workforce, propelling our nation to new heights of scientific innovation and economic achievement,” the website states.
Student participation involves completing a project that includes the study, development, or use of an AI method or tool to address community challenges, while educators will focus on creative approaches to teaching or using AI technologies in K-12 learning, according to the guidelines.
Registration for the challenge opened on Tuesday and the deadline for a project submission is Jan. 20, 2026. Participants could potentially win $10,000 for their school or educational organization plus $10,000 per participating member. Full guidelines for the challenge are found here.
In May, Mrs. Trump sat alongside her husband as he signed the Take It Down Act into law, a cause she championed shortly after the president’s inauguration in January. The legislation, enforced by the Federal Trade Commission, penalizes anyone who spreads images of someone without their consent and requires technology platforms to promptly remove the images once reported. The bill includes AI-generated deepfake images—also commonly referred to as sextortion and revenge porn. The bipartisan bill was introduced last year by Sen. Ted Cruz, a Republican from Texas, and Sen. Amy Klobuchar, a Democrat from Minnesota.
The Weekly Wrap
The Weekly Wrap is a collection of headlines from the past week. Some publications have paywalls.
IMO With Michelle Obama and Craig Robinson
Michelle Obama & Craig Robinson Take on the TikTok Paint Challenge
Aug. 28, 2025 — Former First Lady Michelle Obama and her brother Craig Robinson go head-to-head as they participate in the viral blind paint challenge. View here
Page Six
Melania Trump 'Laughed' at Vanity Fair Offer, Rejected Magazine: Sources
Aug. 27, 2025 — Vanity Fair staffers flipping out at the prospect of First Lady Melania Trump gracing the cover can rest easy. She’s not the slightest bit interested. A fashion source familiar with the First Lady’s thinking says she “laughed” at the Vanity Fair request in July and rejected it immediately. Read more
PC Magazine
Melania Trump Dubs Herself First Lady of Technology
Aug. 26, 2025 — Melania Trump is carving out a new role in the Trump administration as the first lady of Technology, the New York Post reports. She will focus on advancing AI technology, first by leading the Presidential AI Challenge. Read more
Women’s Wear Daily
Melania Trump Wears Michael Kors and Gap to Announce AI Challenge
Aug. 26, 2025 — To launch the “Presidential AI Challenge,” First Lady Melania Trump kept things simple dressing in an all-American outfit. In a video announcing the competition for K-12 students that was released Tuesday, FLOTUS sported a navy Michael Kors blazer and a white Gap T-shirt. That high-low combo still delivered a double dose of designer fashion since the celebrity-approved Zac Posen is Gap’s creative director. Read more
The Atlantic
Maybe a New Melania Magazine Cover Will Give Trump What He’s Been Seeking
Aug. 26, 2025 — “Put her on the cover!” the voice shouted. Everyone looked around to see where it was coming from. There appeared to be a kind of vortex in the middle of the table in the meeting room; it sizzled and gave off sparks. Some paper clips flew into it and disappeared.
“Her? Who?”
“Melania Trump!” the voice yelled. “The future first lady!”
FOX News
Vanity Fair Reportedly Considering Melania Trump Feature
Aug. 26, 2025 — Fox & Friends co-hosts discuss the possibility of First Lady Melania Trump appearing on a Vanity Fair cover and the reaction from the magazine's employees. View here